All of the following facts and figures have been pulled from the article “48 Significant Social Media Facts, Figures and Statistics Plus 7 Infographics” from http://www.jeffbullas.com and relate to 2011/2012.
The first fact that struck me from this article is not directly related to social media. Bullas (2012) states that, in the world, there are 600 million more mobile phone users, than people who own a toothbrush.
- Around 850 million monthly active users.
- 250 million pictures were uploaded daily
- 20% of all web page views were Facebook
- 50% of users were on mobile devices
- 100 billion connections
- Zynga games were approximately 12% of Facebook’s total revenue
- 57% of users were female
- On average, users spent 20 minutes per visit on the site
- 465 million accounts
- 175 million tweets were sent per day
- 1 million accounts were created per day
- The US, in 2012, had 107.7 million accounts
- Was attracting 2 new members per second, in 2012
- Over 135 million users, in over 200 countries
- 2116 employees by 2012, compared to 500 in 2010
- 36th most visited site worldwide
- The fastest growing demographics it attracts are students and college graduates
- In 2012, YouTube was responsible for 10% of internet traffic
- Had around 2 billion views per day
- 829,000 videos were being uploaded per day
- It would have taken 1700 years to watch all content that had been uploaded to that point
- In 2011, 150 million pictures were uploaded
- 30 million users in April 2012
- In 2011 Pintrest had 11 million visits per week
- Had 10.4 million registered users
- The fastest site to break 10 million unique visitors
Bullas, J. (2012). 48 Significant Social Media Facts, Figures and Statistics – Plus 7 Infographics. [online] Jeffbullas’s Blog. Available at: http://www.jeffbullas.com/2012/04/23/48-significant-social-media-facts-figures-and-statistics-plus-7-infographics/ [Accessed 28 Jan. 2016].